Employee health screening helps to identify health problems early in the staff so that early intervention can be given to prevent progression into more serious conditions that could be life-threatening. NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) reported that staff sickness cost the British economy an estimated £15 billion in 2011. Benefits of employee health screening to both the individual and the organization include:
Benefits to individuals:
- Access to health information.
- Reduced health risks.
- Improved performance.
- Better mental health.
Benefits to organisations:
- Reduced sickness absence levels.
- Greater staff satisfaction.
- Reduced turnover of staff.
- Improved productivity.
- Improved morale and loyalty amongst employees – health screening demonstrates that employers care about their staff and are dedicated to helping them stay healthy.
- Improved team-working.
There are a number of different forms of employee health screening, including:
- Pre-employment health checks helps the employer to identify any existing health issues that may require support.
- Regular health screening for cardiovascular and metabolic risk factors and cancer screening.
Corporate health screening will involve a summarised report to the organisation to provide trending of the general employees’ health and also comparison with national averages so that the company can review it’s working practices and use the information to improve the working environment. At Clearbridge Medical, we provide different approaches to employee health checks:
- Individual walk-in for health screening with individual reports to talk through with our doctor for personalised advice.
- An office based health screening exercise with nurse-led finger prick blood tests to provide a quick but efficient way of group testing for the employees. Each member of staff would be allocated a brief slot during which some basic tests could be carried out (e.g. BMI, blood glucose and blood pressure checks). This will allow the employee to have a general idea of their parameters and highlight any alarm bells for them to do further health investigations.
- Group flu vaccine exercise carried out either at our clinic or at the company.